Finding Safe Christmas Gifts
How To Buy Safe Christmas Gifts
Given the fact that there have been so many toy recalls in recently, you may not be sure how to find safe Christmas gifts for your kids. You should understand that it is important to think of safety even if the toys are made in the USA. Remember that it is not where the toy is made that counts. Instead, the means and materials used to make the toy are what is important. Around 80% of all toys you will find in the US have been manufactured outside the country. This means it is difficult to buy only toys of US origin. Buying toys based on their country of origin will not guarantee they are safe. Instead, you must know what to look for when shopping for safe Christmas gifts. Here are some tips to help you do exactly that.
Know how the who made the toy and the methods of manufacturing the toy. This way, you will maintain accountability. Ask questions related to materials and processes involved when the toy was made.
Remember, doing your homework will make you feel reassured. For example, if you research Holgate Toys you will find that the company has been around since 1929. Located in Pennsylvania, their toys contain only non-toxic paints and finishes.
Safe Christmas Gifts Checklist
Use a checklist when searching for safe Christmas gifts. Make sure to include:
- Asking about materials, such as paint and finishes.
- Asking if the company is in compliance with federal laws, and with the rules of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Ensuring there are no parts that can break off.
- Making sure that any toys are age-appropriate. You’ll need to pay careful attention to the box for this. Remember that toys that are safe for an 8-year old, may not be safe for a 3-year old to play with. However, age is not the only consideration. You must also consider the developmental level of the child.
- Avoid toys with sharp edges for any children under the age of eight.
- If you are buying toys that contain makeup, be sure to pay special attention to the chemicals used. Stay away from anything toxic.
- Check with other parents. Doing so will help you find out if the child will play with the toy, and whether there are any safety concerns to bear in mind.
- Always read the label on the packaging for any safety recommendations.
- Think about your child’s individual likes and tastes when considering Christmas gifts.
- Remember to consider the ages of all the children in your home when buying a safe Christmas gifts. Remember that a toy that poses no safety risk for an older child may be dangerous for a younger one.
If you keep the possible hazards in mind, you will always choose age-appropriate and safe Christmas gifts for your kids.